This is not a brain dump and you will not find these exact questions in the exam. The questions here are similar type questions and have content and the information similar to what you have to learn in order to pass the question I have done this to protect the integrity of the exam and those who have worked hard to pass the exam. However if you read the tutorials carefully you will pass the exam but you could have learnt the relevant information to do your job in the real world also. When I say Ñlearn to do thisÒ the required information can be found within ISA server itself, in other Authors tutorials at www.isaserver.org and in this tutorial. Read carefully.
Some of the information in this tutorial might seem to be repeated from tutorial B, the information is not repeated. I have gone into more detail with the questions in order to help you cram for the exam.
- In order for internet traffic not to penetrate your companyÒs network ensure that your Mail servers, terminal servers, file and print servers are published with server rules and that your IIS, ftp and web based servers are published using web publishing rules.
- Know that if the paging file is located on the physical disk that is separate from the system and boot partition, and your users are reporting slow response times when accessing the Internet, additional physical memory must be added to the ISA server. I have found this to be the case in the real world environments but a question in the exam was quite misleading in the way it was asked. I would learn the performance monitor objects really well and know what excessive disk paging means.
- Know that if your disk time is being maxed out then you will need to install a quicker hard disk because disk time is a drive specification. If this is not what the examiners wanted to ask from the question then they have phrased the question incorrectly.
- To make sure that requests from branch offices are all routed to the main office and that the same requests are not served repeatedly, remove all backup connections from the routing rules at the branch offices and configure the branch offices arrays to cache responses from the upstream array. Learn this well as there are over 2 questions pertaining to this.
- To ensure that policy rules for Internet access are the same for all your branch offices you need to run the ISA enterprise initialization tool then promote each stand-alone ISA Server computer to a separate array and then apply an Internet access enterprise policy to all ISA Server computers. (The question in the exam pertaining to this information requires you to choose three answers. Learn these steps as they are used when upgrading from proxy 2.0 servers as well and when wanting to join other ISA computers to the array.)
- Know that if you need to configure your network so that the ISA array behaves as one logical cache unit then you need to configure a single IP address for intra-array communication on each array member.
- When users receive unsolicited e-mail from a specific domain. Enable the SMTP filter on your ISA server and add this domains name to the list of rejected domains, to stop the mails from being sent to users in your organization.
- To restrict access by users and groups a firewall client should be used but in the exam this is not an option in some questions and I know that youÒll need to configure the ISA server arrays in the branch offices with a user name and password to provide authentication to the ISA server array in the main office.
- When browsing from a users machine if you receive a 502 Proxy Error message you will need to create a protocol rule to allow HTTP and HTTPS traffic.
- Remember to always check your ISA LAT (local address table) to make sure that no foreign addresses are in the table, and that only local address are in the table. Please note: that a DMZ address should be treated as foreign.
- In order to browse from the browser on the ISA server computer and benefit from the web proxy cache on this server you should configure Internet explorer to use the internal interface card as the address of the proxy server.
Replace x.x.x.x with the IP of the internal NIC of your ISA server.
- To reduce the bandwidth used on internal connections for Internet access within a branch office environment install additional ISA Server computers at the branch offices and create a separate array at each of these branches then create routing rules at the branches to route the requests to the main office.
- To reduce traffic over your WAN connection resolve requests within the array before routing outgoing web requests
- To access SMTP and POP3 servers on the internet rules must be created within ISA to allow outbound SMTP and POP3 connections.
- The address for inter array caching should be that of the internal network interface card of the ISA server that is located in the main office. This will also speed up internet access considerably.
- If users using NetMeeting can place calls with users outbound, but outbound people at other companies can not, then you need to manually add a DNS service location record for the Q931 service on TCP port 1720.
- Know that to run the enterprise initialization tool you need an account that belongs to the schema Admins group.
- Remember to configure your network router to send the packets bound for the internet to the internal NIC (network interface card) of the ISA server.
- When you get questions that have user groups and OUs involved and you find that some users can not access the internet make sure that the users trying to access the internet are part of the OUs or groups that have access to the internet resources requested. This might sound obvious but with all the waffling going on inside the question it sidetracks you to think that there are more complex problems preventing the users form accessing the internet resources.
- Know that when configuring VPN you will need to configure routing and remote access on VPN server and enable TCP ports 1723 and 47 on the ISA VPN server.
- It is a good idea to revise the article I wrote on authentication, as there are questions pertaining to it in the exam. Follow this link. http://www.isaserver.org/authors/magalhaes/tutorials/understanding_isas_different_authentication_types.htm
- Know how to use the route command and how to add a static route as this is a skill you will need and is questioned in the exam.
- Learn how to use enterprise policies and how they function.
- To upgrade form Proxy 2.0 to ISA, first back up the proxy server configuration to a text file, then remove proxy2 server from the array if it belongs to one then upgrade the proxy server OS to Windows 2000 and finally install ISA sever.
- Know that if you need to configure the ISA server computer to log web proxy service information into an ODBC-compliant database. You should modify and execute the W3p.sql script file to define a new table for the web proxy service then you should define the data source name and the table name within the Web proxy service properties. Remember to specify an account that has the ability to update the table.
- Know how report jobs work and what the different options are and how a report job can be executed; also know what options take the least amount of disk space and also where to store the log files for maximum performance. Note: to improve performance you should limit the amount of fields that you log in the options.
This diagram shows you the different types of field that can be unselected, scroll down for more fields.
- Know what authentication type you must use if you do not want ISA server to ask users for their credentials.
Summary: This tutorial concludes the 70-227 Exam series. Read your questions carefully and donÒt panic if you do not know the answer. Eliminate the questions that you think are unlikely and then read the ones that are suitable candidates over. Do not guess try to have a reason for the answer you select, and compare it to the other answers to make sure you selection is an educated one. I would wish you good luck but luck is for the unprepared.